Thursday, July 10, 2003

Day One - After Class

I came, I saw, and I conquered. - Julius Caesar. I came, I saw, and I bored 'em out of their skulls. I met HIST 1302-004 at 9:40am in LIB 16. There were 33 diverse (!) names on the first-day roster. 29 students showed up for the FIRST WEEK of class. In a summer term, each class meeting is nigh unto a week. As Muhammad Ali loved to say, I pity the fools! Those 4 are well on the way to roadkill. It is not unknown to me - after 31 years at Amarillo College - that any number of those students will remain on the class roll at the end of the term and receive an unearned F in the course. Sometimes I feel as if I work in a meatpacking plant, just puttin' 'em down, one after the other. After approximately two hours of talking about the course and demonstrating WebCT, I got zero (0), zip, zilch, nada when I asked for questions. I asked a student up front, Do you know the school yell at AC? Of course, I got a blank stare. Then I asked, What is the school yell at Texas A&M? Several answered: Gig 'em! (Whatever the hell that means.) Then, I asked, What's the school yell at UT-Austin? The immediate answer: Hook 'em! Then I said, What's the school yell at Amarillo College? More silence. I said, Here it is! accompanied by a monumental shrug and a What, me worry? expression. Followed by uneasy laughter. It's going to be a looooooong summer term. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

☛ STOP!!! Read the following BEFORE posting a Comment!

Include your e-mail address with your comment or your comment will be deleted by default. Your e-mail address will be DELETED before the comment is posted to this blog. Comments to entries in this blog are moderated by the blogger. Violators of this rule can KMA (Kiss My A-Double-Crooked-Letter) as this blogger's late maternal grandmother would say. No e-mail address (to be verified AND then deleted by the blogger) within the comment, no posting. That is the (fair & balanced) rule for comments to this blog.