Saturday, August 23, 2003

First the Blackout, Now the Worm

My take on the Help Desk at Amarillo College is that it's the HelpNot Desk. It's always, I'll have to get back to you on that. Worms. Iraq. Blackouts. Ungodly heat. Baylor. Kobe. Maurice Clarett. California. W. Texas redistricting. Alabama's 10 Commandments monument. How many more plagues before it's lights out? If this be (fair & balanced) blashemy, make the most of it.



[x NYTimes]

August 23, 2003

Tapes From the Help Desk

By JOHN KENNEY

"If the e-mail message offers `details,' `That movie' or `Wicked screensaver,' don't open the attachment."

— The New York Times, Aug. 20, 2003, on the virus that spread across computer networks this week.


9:38 a.m.

Hi. Umm, hi. Yeah. This is Ingrid, from cost accounting. Well, my computer is . . . it's on fire. I opened this file, this, thing because I'm in cost accounting, which I think I said, and I need details. I'm detail-oriented. Did I say oriented or orientated? I'm sorry. I also opened the "That movie" one, too, because I like movies a lot. I live alone. Well, with Sashi, my cat. I watch movies. And I like screensavers, too. I'm really sorry. My computer is burning and . . . could someone call me, please? Also, do we still have to do our time sheets today?

10:02 a.m.

Hey. How ya doin'. Dan, in sales. Got a question. I heard about this virus thing and I was using the computer yesterday and today I have a sore throat. Should I be worried?

10:14 a.m.

Hello. This is Chip, the intern, I'm an intern, a summer intern. I work in municipal finance but that's just for the summer. I really want to get into asset management, I think that would be awesome, anyway. Like, I was wondering if like there was another blackout or a partial blackout or something because I swear I didn't touch anything only it's just, like, I saw "Wicked screensaver" and I thought, cool, so. Umm. . . . My parents are going to kill me.

10:42 a.m.

Yes, hello. Why do I have e-mail receipts from 956 students at the University of Wisconsin? This is Vivian in Mr. Hayden's office and I'd just like to make clear that at no time did I send an e-mail to the Pan-Hellenic Society at the University of Wisconsin about a toga party this Saturday night. My husband and I don't even live in Wisconsin, for heaven's sake, not to mention that we have plans for Saturday night with the Martinson's.

11:01 a.m.

This is Jim from the Detailed Movie Screensaver Department. We, umm, we got a huge problem down here.

11:17 a.m.

Hello. This is . . . excuse me. I'm on with them now — (loud crash) — Umm, I'm sorry . . . April, yes Chuck's . . . Chuck Smeterling's assistant. As in Chuck the president of the company. If you could come down here when you get a moment. . . . We're having a little trouble with the computer. No, that window does not open, Mr. Smeterl—

11:29 a.m.

Hi. Hi there. I hope you guys in tech support, who, frankly, I don't think get enough credit for all the good work you do, are having a good day. I just have a quick question about why my screen's black and playing "Sweet Child of Mine" over and over. My name's Herb Lugnutt, in H.R., but I'm no relation whatsoever to the Herb Lugnutt who sent that company-wide message about how the Help Desk is a bunch of slackers. No relation at all. And I thought his e-mail was really out of line.

1:45 p.m.

Hey. Hi there. It's Chuck, as in the president of the company. I opened this e-mail entitled "Thank you!" I like to be thanked. I'm not thanked enough, actually. Especially by you tech guys. With your long hair, out on your smoke breaks, laughing at your software jokes, wearing your stupid Black Sabbath T-shirts. See, my computer, it's broken. It's making these noises . . . and frozen on the screen is . . . is a picture of my head somehow pasted onto a little girl in a party dress. Now if someone doesn't get up here soon . . . .

3:00 p.m.

Ted. It's Jack. From the Help Desk. I sit next to you. Ya know how today is my last day? Well I just sent you this wicked screensaver. Open it.


John Kenney is an advertising copywriter.

Copyright © 2003 The New York Times Company

No comments:

Post a Comment

☛ STOP!!! Read the following BEFORE posting a Comment!

Include your e-mail address with your comment or your comment will be deleted by default. Your e-mail address will be DELETED before the comment is posted to this blog. Comments to entries in this blog are moderated by the blogger. Violators of this rule can KMA (Kiss My A-Double-Crooked-Letter) as this blogger's late maternal grandmother would say. No e-mail address (to be verified AND then deleted by the blogger) within the comment, no posting. That is the (fair & balanced) rule for comments to this blog.