Friday, November 07, 2003

A Retired AP Teacher & AP Reader Weighs In On The Tascosa HS AP Incentive Program

Tom Terrific taught for 25+ years at Sun Prairie HS (an affluent Madison suburb with a lot of UW faculty children in attendance). I met Tom Terrific seven years ago at the AP Reading in U. S. history at Trinity University. We sat at the same table for the week and became fast friends. Not only is he a great guy, but he knows a helluva lot of history. His AP students knew a helluva lot of history, too. I concur with his take on the Tascosa nonsense. If this be (fair & balanced) disdain, so be it.

Tom Terrific (Madison, WI) wrote to Rants & Raves:

After reading your article on financial incentives for AP grades at Tascosa H.S. in Amarillo, I realize I taught in the wrong place! I could have augmented my salary considerably considering I had about an 80% pass rate (as defined by a 3 or more) when I taught APUSH. Another thing I find interesting in looking at the graph of their AP scores, only about 39% of the students taking the exam "passed." I always considered anything under 60% a terrible result and expected 80% or higher as did those I taught with at SPHS. Maybe if Tascosa restricted their classes to students who were better suited to the advanced nature of the course they'd realize that a 3 isn't a big deal and a 5 is what marks an outstanding student who won't need the $100 because he/she will be getting plenty of scholarship money as a reward.

I agree with your assessment of the AP scores. In the 13 years you and I together have graded AP exams, there wouldn't be enough 9s to fill one section of a college survey course.

I was in California last week and I arrived back in Wisconsin on Monday evening to cold and colder weather as the week progressed. It is in the 20s as I write this with a low of 12 predicted for tonight. I hope Heather (daughter) buys a two bedroom condo in LA soon so I can escape this cold for the winter.
Peace,
TR

No comments:

Post a Comment

☛ STOP!!! Read the following BEFORE posting a Comment!

Include your e-mail address with your comment or your comment will be deleted by default. Your e-mail address will be DELETED before the comment is posted to this blog. Comments to entries in this blog are moderated by the blogger. Violators of this rule can KMA (Kiss My A-Double-Crooked-Letter) as this blogger's late maternal grandmother would say. No e-mail address (to be verified AND then deleted by the blogger) within the comment, no posting. That is the (fair & balanced) rule for comments to this blog.