Sunday, June 19, 2005

Out Of The Mouths Of Babes

The latest post to the blog elicited a response from one of my favorite correspondents (in Armenia). I have transmitted the blogging virus to my family in Yerevan: go to the Simpson Family Blog for a view of life in a former Soviet republic. I was proud that my favorite international lawyer also caught David Gelernter's canard about the Vietnam War. At lunch today, another favorite person caught the error as well and pointed out that the United States hasn't been at war since 1945. The last U.S. declarations of war were signed by Franklin Roosevelt in December 1941; the last surrenders to the U.S. were signed in 1945. Even a Yale professor isn't safe from the keen eye of bloggers. If this is (fair & balanced) gloating, so be it.

Dear Dad,

Happy Father's Day. How was your trip [to Wisconsin] to see David? I haven't heard from anybody in weeks, and I hope everyone, including you, are all right. We went to Lake Sevan today. Simply gorgeous. Will post pics tonight, if we have the electricity. We were without water for 12 hours two days ago, and just got our hot water back. Reminding me of Uzbekistan (at least living conditions) more and more. Liked the article, but one thing that struck me: the point is to know history and use historical references correctly, but he [David Gelernter] called it the Vietnam War, and I thought I remembered from my Vietnam Conflict course that it was never a war b/c Congress never declared war. Anyhow, I'm certainly one of the more "ignorant" ones when it comes to history. Brushing up on Armenian history that's for sure. Ok, hope to hear from you.

Love, Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment

☛ STOP!!! Read the following BEFORE posting a Comment!

Include your e-mail address with your comment or your comment will be deleted by default. Your e-mail address will be DELETED before the comment is posted to this blog. Comments to entries in this blog are moderated by the blogger. Violators of this rule can KMA (Kiss My A-Double-Crooked-Letter) as this blogger's late maternal grandmother would say. No e-mail address (to be verified AND then deleted by the blogger) within the comment, no posting. That is the (fair & balanced) rule for comments to this blog.