Tuesday, April 22, 2008

(Real) Dirty Dancing

Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes won a Grammy in 1988 for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group; their hit, "I Had The Time Of My Life," was the finale song in the ultimate chick-flick, "Dirty Dancing" (1987). Ironically, Bill Medley was one-half of The Righteous Brothers (with Bobby Hatfield) and the duo became members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003. The Righteous Brother in the current presidential campaign is Senator Barack Obama. If this is a (fair & balanced) case of life imitating art, so be it.

[x Versus site]
THE FIGHT OF MY LIFE ♫ (Click on the link at left for sound.)
[The Democratic Primary]
Parody Lyrics by Marcy Shaffer

To "(I've Had) The Time of My Life"
(Words and Music BY Franke Previte,
John DeNicola and Donald Markowitz)

CLINTON:
Well, I've had the fight of my life.
'Til now I always breezed my way right through.
And it's true.
that I grew.
'Cause of tussling with you.

OBAMA:
I too have had the fight of my life.
With all that muscling from you.

CLINTON:
Straight Talk Express I can defeat.
Barack, oh, yes, I ran to meet
Destiny.

OBAMA:
And I'm convinced I cannot fail.
Like each time Harvard plays at Yale.
Hillary.

CLINTON:
My innuendos on the rise.

OBAMA:
My spinners wiser to devise
Strategy.

BOTH:
So forget what's done on news.
You can bet no one will lose
Gracefully.

OBAMA:
You've misspoken.

CLINTON:
You have been provokin'.

BOTH:
It is masterstrokin'!
See how we run!

Really:
I've had the fight of my life.
'Til now I always breezed my way right through.
And it's true.
that I grew.
'Cause of hustling from you.

CLINTON:
Oh, those calls at 3 a.m.
Have a stratagem for them?
I'd like to hear.

OBAMA:
Are you awake then from concerns
Where those stacks of tax returns
might steer?

CLINTON:
Hah!
When those delegates convene.
I can tell, I'll be queen of the year.
BUT remember:

You have taught me
That it could be NOT me.

OBAMA:
How far you have brought me!

BOTH:
See how we run!

Thank you.
I've had the fight of my life.
And I'll be number 44 before I'm through.
What I'll do.
will be new.
'Cause of tussling with you.

Yes, I've had the fight of my life.
And maybe to my debut interview.
I will coo.
that I flew.
'Cause of tussling, yes,
tussling with you.

Janis Liebhart - lead vocal; background vocals
Gary Stockdale - lead vocal; background vocals
Greg Hilfman - music director

[Marcy Shaffer is an attorney-cum-parodist.]

℗ © 2008 RMSWorks LLC. Lyrics © 2008 RMSWorks LLC.


Get an RSS (Really Simple Syndication) Reader at no cost from Google. Another free Reader is available at RSS Reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment

☛ STOP!!! Read the following BEFORE posting a Comment!

Include your e-mail address with your comment or your comment will be deleted by default. Your e-mail address will be DELETED before the comment is posted to this blog. Comments to entries in this blog are moderated by the blogger. Violators of this rule can KMA (Kiss My A-Double-Crooked-Letter) as this blogger's late maternal grandmother would say. No e-mail address (to be verified AND then deleted by the blogger) within the comment, no posting. That is the (fair & balanced) rule for comments to this blog.